If I couldn’t lift my arms for 3 days after doing chest and
back the first time, I was hunched over in pain for at least that long after
doing this DVD. One of the best things
about this routine is getting better at it over time because it is hard. Just plain hard.
At 16 minutes, including a cool-down, Ab Ripper is why the
P90X informercials say the workouts are “about an hour a day”. Adding this one makes it more like an hour
and fifteen. I don’t know why the time
fudging annoys me so much, but it does.
Anyway, back to the workout.
Tony mentions at the start that there are 11 moves at 25 reps each. I like the rep count as opposed to a time
limit because it means that I can do it to live TV rather than following along
with the DVD since (a) after a few times you know all the moves and (b) as anyone would, Tony gets stale after a while as you’re doing this 3 times a week for 10 weeks
(you don’t do this during the recovery weeks).
Though not all the moves are created equal, different people will find
different ones more challenging. For
example, one friend hates ‘heels to heaven’, basically a butt raise with legs
straight in the air. My personal nemesis
is the V-rollup, a full sit-up followed by a roll back and a jack-knife sit-up. I was way too proud of myself the first time I
could do 25 of those without stopping. Way too proud of myself.
One nice thing about the P90X program is that on the DVDs
for days that include Ab Ripper X, this workout is included on that disc so you
don’t have to switch discs in the player.
If that makes sense. But, you
also get a separate DVD with Ab Ripper on it.
To me, that shows some overall thoughtfulness and professionalism in
putting the packaging together.
After a while, this routine does get easier, but it really
is because your abs are stronger. This
one really does work.
No comments:
Post a Comment